Pug Rescue of North Carolina Funds Life-Saving Work with eBay Giving Works
- The Pug Rescue of North Carolina is using eBay Giving Works to tap into a new source of unrestricted funding that supports their work of placing unwanted and injured pugs into forever homes. Currently, their eBay sales make up a quarter of their overall fundraising.
A Fundraising Tale
- While shopping on eBay, a volunteer at The Pug Rescue of North Carolina stumbled upon eBay Giving Works. Since 2005, The Pug Rescue of North Carolina has been a eBay Giving Works Nonprofit Direct Seller, offering a variety of homemade items including sweaters, t-shirts, and dog scarves (a best-seller), in addition to an annually published pug calendar.
- With no paid employees, every cent raised goes directly to caring for the pugs and pays for expenses such as medical bills, spaying, neutering, and anything else pugs need while in the rescue’s care. In 2007 alone, they saved the lives of over 215 pugs.
- Cathleen Codling, President, is a fan of how easy the program is, “The items sell themselves. You can go to bed at night and wake up to find you’ve sold three things.” One of their greatest eBay Giving Works coups happened when they sold a handmade sweater that featured a pug—it went for over $200. “We thought it might sell for $70 or so, but were thrilled when it sold for so much.”
- Some buyers have gone onto to become supporters, “I think it’s wonderful, that the person buying our items knows the money is going to a nonprofit. We’ve had people who have bought from us and then made a donation.”